Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Lent - A Reflection

Generally, when I think of Lent - I think of my catholic friends growing up who gave up coca cola or french fries for the Lenten season.  When I think about Lent now as an adult I see it as a time to sacrifice something that could be replaced with prayer, presence, and self improvement.

This year, I have decided to give up social media and as a secondary - alcohol.  Now, social media and I have a complicated relationship.  I have several reasons to be active on facebook and instagram and could list them as excuses for why I should keep them.  My family lives far away, I have an excellent group of friends in a secret facebook group that I have been counting on everyday for over 5 years, I have many former students who I keep in touch with using instagram: these are all excuses.

What social media really does:  alienates me from my daughter, prevents real conversation with my boyfriend, interrupts my studying, distracts me during work.  I can do without all of this.

Here are my goals in the next 40 days:
1.  Be more present.
2. Study my ass off to be prepared for my history MTEL on March 31st.
3. Spend my "down" time being more productive.
4. Read.
5. Get outside and walk.

My reasons for giving alcohol up are a little deeper but I just know that it will be helpful for me overall to not rely on that glass or two of wine to destress.  I'm looking forward to finding some other ways to help me wind down.

No comments:

Post a Comment